Sometimes, we forget the body is one inter-connected system and conventional medicine may treat your symptoms, rather than the underlying causes of your health concerns. Functional Medicine allows us to work with root causes, so that your health improves and you feel better.
About Fairfield Nutrition
At Fairfield Nutrition, we focus on identifying and addressing the root cause of your health problems using Functional Medicine.
Unlike conventional medicine, we do not simply treat your symptoms. Instead, we take the time to identify what may be going on in your body. This then allows us to address the causes of your health issues through dietary and changes to your lifestyle. Our aim is to help you return to health without unnecessary drugs or surgery.
This approach works well for those living with chronic illness but also for others who just want to optimise their health and well being.
About Stephen Ward
Stephen Ward from Fairfield Nutrition here. This is my story on how I developed such a passion for all things health and nutrition. As with many practitioners, it all started when I developed my own unexplained health issues..
In my mid-30s, I noticed that I was feeling increasingly tired, depressed and anxious, and slowly putting on weight – my energy of younger years was already disappearing.
I wasn’t sure if I was just ‘getting older’ so I went to see my GP and had some standard testing done.
I was told that I was Hypothyroid and was given a prescription for Thyroxine, a thyroid hormone, to take for the rest of my life. I was shocked to say the least, and really wanted to know what had caused the auto-immunity and what changes I could make to support myself.. Unfortunately my GP wasn’t able to help with these questions. I felt confused, isolated, and somewhat let down. I wanted to know what I could do…
From my test results I worked out that the elevated anti-bodies meant I had an auto-immune disease called Hashimoto’s (this wasn’t mentioned by my GP!).
This caused me to research my condition, and find out how I could halt or slow the auto-immune process by making changes to my lifestyle and diet. I worked to improve all areas of my health including my gut health. The good news is my thyroid antibodies are now within range!
From there I trained in Functional Medicine & Nutrition because I knew that there must be so many other people out there not getting better because the root of their problems wasn’t being treated.
Since then I’ve gone on to treat patients with a wide range of conditions that they’ve often had for years. From auto-immunity, to gut issues, to less common issues like body odour or hair loss. I help many people that are feeling fatigued and not quite themselves, or are not happy with the level of care they’ve received so far..
What I stand for
As the center of what I do revolves around working with clients one-on-one, I thought you might like to know what I stand for and stand against, so here you are:
- Focus on you. I work to achieve your goals, with your values, not mine. Personalised plans unique to you.
- Health Detective. I work with the root causes of disease, and take the time to find out what’s really going on. I’m on your side and my aim is for you to achieve your health goals. My number one priority is for you to see results.
- Mindset.I believe that our emotions, thinking, and mindset can have a profound impact on our health.
- Effective methods. Nutrition and lifestyle are the most effective tools to nudge the systems of our body to full health. Whole, unprocessed foods are recommended.
- Bigger Picture. I see addressing the onslaught of chronic disease as part of a movement to resist environmental destruction, reductionism and spiritual abandonment.
What I stand against
- Health as the absence of disease. No! It’s a state of great vitality and wellness.
- Treating symptoms with bandaids. Instead, I take the time, and use lab testing where necessary, to work with the root causes and imbalances in the body.
- Excesses. Excessive ongoing supplementation and permanently restrictive diets.
- One size fits all. We are all different biochemically, mentally / emotionally with different goals, and what we need may be very different.
- Not science based. Offering advice without considering scientific research. Unfortunately, not everything to do with nutrition and lifestyle has gone through scientific trials as there is less money involved than in pharmaceutics. In which case, I use my knowledge and clinical experience to offer informed guidance. But you won’t find any wacky approaches to healing here!
What is Functional Medicine and how can it help chronic conditions?
We desperately need a new approach to healthcare that prevents and reverses chronic health conditions by addressing the underlying causes, rather than just managing the disease after it occurs. Functional Medicine is that approach, and its popularity is growing..
Unlike ‘conventional’ medicine, in Functional Medicine, we don’t treat the disease itself, but instead the underlying imbalances in the body that are causing the disease. It offers new hope to people suffering from chronic health conditions.
Functional Medicine says we should dig deeper rather than just treating the symptoms. This can be a more effective approach for chronic health conditions such as fatigue, hormonal issues, IBS, and auto-immunity.
Highly recommend, excellent service, holistic and client centered. My overall health and wellness has improved in a short space of time. Thanks, Stephen
Stephen has a wealth of knowledge and experience. He asks lots of questions to help determine your health challenges and goals. He made effective suggestions that I hadn't considered. I felt supported, listened to, and he answered my questions promptly online. Im only three weeks into my "three month plan" and I'm already noticing my health improving. Highly recommended!
Stephen is a very thorough practitioner who works hard to get to the root cause. He has helped me immensely.