Making eating the Rainbow Fun!
We all know to eat our greens but what about the red, orange, yellow, green, blues and whites?
“Eating the rainbow” means including an abundance of plant based foods from each of the 6 colours, and provides the foundation of nutrition to restore your health, whatever your goal.
The colour in plant foods is where the magic happens! The colours are the sources of powerful phytonutrients – hundreds of different chemicals that have been to found to benefit a wide range of chronic diseases and are anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and support heart, skin, liver, brain, and hormonal health.
This smoothie is a powerhouse of nutrition, with the nutrients supporting the clearance of toxins by the liver and kidneys. It’s also great for the gut as it provides fibre to feed the gut bacteria. The phytonutrients also help to maintain a healthy balance of gut bacteria.
So what could be better than enjoying this smoothie for breakfast or a snack. Perfect anytime of day. Enjoy!
Delicious, nutritious, and colourful fruit and vegetable smoothie
- 10 raspberries or 5 strawberries. (RED) - Frozen organic berries are a good choice
- 1/2 banana or 1/4 cup pineapple (YELLOW) - Not too ripe reduces the sugar content
- 2 tbsp cooked sweet potato or 1 apricot / half a peach / nectarine (ORANGE)
- 1 cup rocket or watercress (GREEN)
- 300 ml nut milk (oat or almond), water or tea (green, dandelion, nettle) (WHITE)
- 1/4 cup blue berries (BLUE) Frozen organic blueberries
- 2 tbsp protein powder (such as hemp) (Optional)
Add all ingredients to the blender
Blend until smooth, adding more liquid as needed
You can also create your own Rainbow Smoothie by including ingredients from each of the colours..